Sunday, June 26, 2011

Virginia And Basketball

      Even though Virginia has been gone almost 5 months since Virginia's death, it's still tremendously hard living without her.  I was talking to one of my teammates earlier and we were just remembering how much Virginia loved basketball, practices, each new season, and her basketball "family". In one note she wrote me she said, " And I'm really excited that you'll be on the Varsity team this year, it'll be alot of fun!" Whenever I read that or think of that, I always think about the fact that we never got to do that, and it makes me so sad. But, it also makes me realize how encouraging those few words were! Everything she told me and encouraged with in basketball meant so much. She was the joy and 'smile' of your team, I guess you could say. Going into state this weekend, is something our whole team is extremely excited about and I know Virginia absolutely loved it as well: the bus ride up, walking into the gym, staying in the hotels, cheering for the guys, playing in the game, and encouraging her teammates were some of the many aspects she loved about the whole experience. I'm sad I won't get to experience that event with her.
     However, I am convinced that she has the best seat up in Heaven where she will cheer her heart out for us! Also, I'm so very glad and greatful that God's put me on this basketball team not only because we're good :) and I love the sport, but because of the wonderful girls that make it up. Walking into my first season of Varsity Basketball, I was actually really excited. But after Virginia, I just knew part of that joy the team had would be gone and that it would be a totally different team than it had been before. Once practices started, I noticed our team beginning to grow closer together and I think Virginia was the reason for that. When we all realized she was gone, we knew we were always going to be missing a part of our team. I have seen our team get closer every single day whether it's at practice, games, or at school and I cannot be more thankful or ask for a better team. Gary said that Virginia is the heart of our team- and I so agree! She has impacted the lives of every girl on this team in so many ways and always will!
     So, when I think of September 18, 2010 I don't think of it anymore as the day we lost a close friend, teammate, and amazing girl, but as the day that amazing girl came face to face with her Heavenly Father whom she loved with her whole heart. I think her legacy has challenged our team and everyone who knew her. Going to state this week will be such an exciting time but also a time that will be hard for us, because we feel like she should be there with us. I encourage my coaches and teammates: Gary and Sarah, KK, Mary, Izzy, Caroline, Hannah, Marg, Beth, and Crewe, to work your butts off and play these last few games with your whole hearts! But, don't forget the main reason we play-to glorify our Savior and Creator!  Love you guys so much! <=   

No comments:

Post a Comment